Happy Sunday, folks!
This weekend has been a blessing in disguise. The epidemic is in the midst of being contained as our lovely college admins decided to quarantine everyone by shutting down school and canceling the much-anticipated Halloween rager everyone had been looking forward to for months. Although I wasn’t particularly excited about the party initially, I was convinced by my friends to give a little more sh*t – I even sewed a cape for my costume. I SEWED. Anyone who knows me will appreciate this grand gesture. Anyway, we ended up having a great time doing stupid drunken photoshoots while playing King’s Cup. I guess it’s okay to let this zombie cat out of the bag – I was going to be a Super Sexy CrossFit Hero. It’s not to say that any CrossFit woman who works out in booty shorts is a
slut; in actual fact, I admire them for being able to have the courage to show off their beautiful bodies AND clean 175lbs. That’s beauty. And although I haven’t quite reached that level of self confidence, I’m working on it. At least I paraded those shorts for one night! And you know what? I was too busy having a fun time to feel self-conscious.
On another note – BOY, do I have a special treat for you guys! I asked my awesome housemate from Peru (/Argentina/Brazil/Washington D.C./Skatesville) to write an authentic Peruvian recipe for lomos saltado – beef and french fries braised in tomatoes and onions. It is DEE-LISH and I can’t wait to try it out myself. Some of the ingredients render it not Paleo, but once you taste it, it’s guaranteed that all non-Paleo sin shall be forgiven.
1 fresh tomato, sliced into 8
1 red onion, slices
1/2 red bell pepper, slices
Pinch of Jalapeno pepper, diced finely (if you can handle the heat, go ahead an add a tablespoon!)
Handful spring onion, chopped
1 flank steak, cut into strips about 1/2″ thick
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 shots Pisco Italia (or vodka, if you don’t have any) + 1 shot for the happy cook :)
Pinch of salt
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
French fries (homemade, pre-frozen, McDonald’s bought – whichever)
Method of Madness:-
- Make the french fries first. While waiting for them to cook, add some olive oil in a pan over high heat.
- Caramelize onions in the pan, adding 1 shot of Pisco to break down the sugars in the onions.
- When onions start to brown, add tomatoes, red bell peppers, chopped spring onions and diced jalapeno into pan and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Once tomatoes start to soften, add the beef strips and spices (salt, pepper, cumin).
- Add remaining 1 shot of Pisco and stir. Let the beef bathe in the juices for 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce reduces.
- Do 10 squats and take 1 shot for the happy cook! :D
- Stir occasionally to avoid base burning.
- Once the beef starts to plump up, add in french fries and mix for, oh say… 10 seconds.
- Serve with rice and eat that baby up! ( before I do)