Ever find yourself glazing over the greens section at the market, thinking to yourself, “What’s the least disgusting vegetable I can feed myself?” I sure did. Ever find yourself cooking the same steamed broccoli and kale salads for meals on end? Sheah. You said it, sister/mister/just another blister.
Time for a change! The challenge I’ve decided to set myself (partially for amusement sake) is to choose an item from the fresh produce section that I’ve NEVER even thought/heard about and learn how to cook it. Simple as that. They are actually super easy to make and always come out tasting surprisingly yummy (and meaty). The first thing was…
GRILLED LEMON & GARLIC BRUSSEL SPROUTS
2 cups fresh brussel sprouts (yeah, buddy, I mean the kind you actually hand pick)
1/2 bulb of fresh garlic, chopped
1/2 lemon, squeezed juices
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
Method of Madness:-
- Begin by taking a deep breath and a nice, long cat stretch. Allow yourself to enter the zen of the sprouts. Love the sprouts. Be one with the sprouts. You are ready.
- Set the oven to 350°F.
- Wash thoroughly and cut off white stems on the base of the brussel sprouts (this is what gives the bitter taste) and slice each sprout in half.
- Place in a baking pan and toss with olive oil, chopped garlic, cajun seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the greens.
- Cook in the oven for 50 minutes (or until edges start to brown), mixing it thoroughly to re-coat with oil at the 25 minute mark.
- Remove and eat with a big, whopping smile on your face. They taste delicious and you know it.
*If you want, you can add all sorts of fancy fun stuff to this like bacon, pancetta, cheese, olives, capers, etc. Paint your rainbow!