Happy Love-your-other-half or Stay-in-your-Onesie Day!
Couples are swarming the streets like locusts and when I see people holding each other’s hands, I kind of want to walk right between them. It’s both adorable in a, “I wish it were me”, kind of way, but also sickening in a, “Why the hell isn’t it me” kind of way. You know what I’m sayin’? Ya dig?
I spent yesterday crying because I got my first traffic ticket. For looking down at my phone at a red light. I know, I know. Rookie mistake. But I’m a legit good driver and validation was received today when my friend declared, “You’re a really good driver”. If I see a lady crossing the street up ahead, I’m going to stop for you. For someone who usually drives on the other side of the road back in Malaysia, that means a lot. So I hope the damage isn’t too gut-wrenching. Lesson learned: kids, don’t get caught using your phone in the listed situations:
a) in class
b) on a date
c) anywhere and at anytime in the driver’s seat.
That being said, the day definitely turned itself around after our Vday cookie workshop class with the kids. They are too funny and I think all that food colouring and icing made them go batshit cray.
They are adorbs. They were making cookies for their current crushes *whoshallnotbenamed* and sighing as 8 year-old girls do. And after they caught me writing a love letter (to myself, secretly), they would not shut up about my make-believe boyfriend. I guess it serves me right.
I also ended up having a bake sesh with my good friend, Jack, which as always, involved a high consumption of wine. We made ANZAC cookies (which stand for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps in case you didn’t know) – totally not Paleo but DAMN they were good – and Paleomg’s Blueberry Jam Ice Cream. So delish.
So here’s the recipe I’ve been promising! They pack a certain punch that comes just after you take that first bite. And definitely hard to keep your hands off of. Perfect for a Valentine’s day gift for your loved ones. Chili chocolate bombs with a spicy, gooey surprise in the centre. Takes literally 15 minutes to make and serves 15 (or maybe more, I can’t remember because I sneaked some).
Paleo Chili Chocolate Bombs
1 cup almond meal
2 tablespoon coconut flour
1/4 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon + pinch of cayenne pepper
1/3 cup organic coconut palm sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Palmful of large chocolate chunks (I used Sprout’s French Vanilla 82% Dark Chocolate)
Method of Madness:-
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine almond meal, coconut flour, coconut sugar, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and vanilla extract together.
- Melt the coconut oil and add to the large bowl of dry ingredients.
- Add egg and vanilla into the large bowl. The mixture should be like a paste and not sticky to the touch.
- Roll the mixture into small balls, roughly big enough for bite-size but not smaller than a quarter. Does that make sense?
- Press a large chocolate chunk into the center of each ball, making sure to seal it again so chocolate doesn’t ooze out.
- Roll/press each ball on the little chocolate shavings you got from chopping up your chunks for a little decoration.
- Bake in the oven for exactly 10 minutes, otherwise cracks might start to appear and bad things will happen.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool for 15 minutes.
- Pop one in and taste the explosion!