I’ve been unleashing my tart cravings this entire week. It started out last Sunday when I decided to make a totally NON-PALEO Chocolate Bacon tart for my housemate’s birthday. It looked a little like this:
I can’t believe I’ve never made this before. Oh wait, wait. I know why. Because I knew it would lead to me buying tart pans, new plates for better pictures and little tiny fruit to garnish. That’s why. It’s been such a nasty week for semi-guilty eating. Maybe it’s pre-Open cravings or something but I’m all about naughty eating right now. Just like the chocolate tart, I went out and ate this:
And then came home and made this Paleo version:
Me hungry. Very very hungry. I also got bumped by a car while walking my bike home. Why was I walking my bike? Because I had to get off it to walk around the damn car that was in my way. You know, like when you’re biking on the sidewalk and a car stops right in your way trying to pull out of the plaza? You know? Yeah, so I got off it and she wasn’t looking and she hit me. Not badly, but I half screamed, half squealed. I think that was the only time I ever screamed like a sort of girl. Usually, it’s all Hulk in my voice. That didn’t sound right.
So I made this Sea Salt Chocolate Bacon Tart because I had to find a reason to use my new tiny tart pans. I know, you’re thinking, “Bacon? Ew.” but damn it, you need to sit yourself down and try this. It’s one of my favourite combinations. Of course, you can choose not to put bacon and have it be pure silky heaven, but that would just be crazy talk. The crust is a little crunchy and chewy, just the way it should be. I refuse to call them “Paleo” chocolate tarts because that’s like saying Paleo is sugar-free and then still eating honey. And I can’t say these are no-bake because the crust takes all of 10 minutes in the oven. Right? But they ARE gluten-free/dairy-free/grain-free. Ya know? Not that I have anything against chocolate – as you can plainly see, no problems with chocolate here.
Slightly Guilty Sea Salt Chocolate Bacon Tart
1/4 cup almond meal
1/3 cup shredded coconut flakes
1 tablespoon coconut flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 coconut oil
1 tablespoon raw honey
Pinch of salt
Dash of ground cinammon
Sea Salt Chocolate filling:
200g french vanilla dark chocolate, chopped finely
200ml coconut milk
2 strips bacon, cooked, patted dry with paper towels and chopped finely
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
Method of Madness:-
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil two mini tart pans. Lightly, like the bottom of a newborn babe.
- In a bowl, mix together almond meal, coconut flakes, cocoa powder and coconut flour.
- Add melted coconut oil, raw honey, salt and cinnamon.
- Once mix is combined well, press down onto the mini tart pans to 1/8 of an inch in thickness. Maybe even less if you can.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Once done, remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature. You can stick it in the freezer/fridge to speed up the process.
- While you’re waiting, bring coconut milk to a gentle boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Place chopped chocolate in a large bowl.
- Once the coconut milk starts to bubble on the sides, remove from heat and pour over chocolate. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix coconut milk and chocolate together until completely melted and combined. Add sea salt.
- When the crust is done, spread chopped bacon on the base of each tart.
- Fill the tart shells with the chocolate velvet.
- Place in the fridge overnight to set. Sprinkle sea salt before serving.