I know what you’re thinking – has she really come back from the edge of the Earth? Lucky for you, yes. And I bring with me some killer recipes to help your hunger.
So what have you missed? For starters, I finally crossed off #7 on my Ultimate Bucket List (every one has to have one) – I had my very first bake sale! Funny how I’m covering all of my pre-teen, must-have girl experiences at 21. Obviously, I was terrified to the very cells of my core : while I knew my food wasn’t gut-wrenchingly revolting, I never thought people would actually pay money to eat it. So joy of a thousand suns and babies!
On top of that, I did my first catering gig for a friend’s graduating thesis show (blah blah words) = TACOS AND CUPCAKES. It was SO much fun and what a validation it is to know that people trust you with the sustenance they put into their bodies. Truly. I figured if I make a big enough feast for the graduate committee, they would find no reason to fail me for not making a final “project”. Right?
I did a spontaneous escape to Santa Barbara last Sunday. Totally got in the car to drive to the gym and found myself on the 101 – North. What is there to do in Santa Barbara, anyway? I just thought it was a fancy pansy place where Oprah had her summer home, decked with chocolate fountains and champagne showers. I didn’t spend too much time there, but I did get asked out on a date by a guy who worked at the ice cream shop. Needless to say he was sorely disappointed when I told him I wasn’t from the area.
The most important thing that happened?
I GOT JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE TICKETS, Y’ALL.
Words cannot describe how much of a 12 year old girl I felt when I, indeed, ‘proceeded to checkout’. I’m sure my inner N*sync fangirl self is unquestionably complete.
PALEO ROASTED EGGPLANT BURGER WITH SWEET POTATO FRIES
1/4 lb grass-fed, lean ground beef
1/4 cup spring onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1/4 teaspoon paprika, cinnamon, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon pepper, cayenne pepper
Eggplant slices, cut 3/4″ thick (or thicker if you like fluffy buns. Haha, fluffy buns.)
1/2 medium sweet potato, sliced into thin strips
Method of Madness:-
- Pre-heat oven to 380F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Coat sweet potato strips with oil of your choosing and spread evenly on the baking tray.
- Rub eggplant slices with salt first before coating lightly with oil. Add to the tray.
- Bake for 40 minutes, turning occasionally until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add spices to ground beef. Mix in spring onions and garlic, and form a patty shape (1″ thickness).
- Cook on medium-high heat for 2-4 minutes on each side, flipping twice.
- Set the patty aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Take fries and eggplant buns out and finish in the pan with all the lovely beef juices.
- Assemble and DEMOLISH.