Hurrah hurrah, for I have finally found a place to stay! Thank the food lords and shelter shamans. So I cooked up a bunch of yummy-ness to, you know, celebrate. Haven’t much to tell you except that I’ve learnt how to make PALEO MARSHMALLOWS. Hells yes. They will be coming to you shortly.
Funny thing about lasagnas. My mum used to cook the best lasagna ever (you know, by non-Italian standards) before we all suddenly became “allergic to wheat”. She would cook it so often, we’d be eating leftovers for most of the week. I never learned the secrets to her witchcraft, but I do remember her always pronouncing it as ‘lag-zah-na‘. I was learning to speak English and that was how I thought you would always say it. Until one faithful day I said it to some “cultured” snob who, in turn, spat his laughter in my face. What was my comeback? None – I went home and sulked over a bowl of my LAH-SAH-NIA. Jerk.
1 lb grass-fed ground beef
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups Easy marinara sauce
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Method of Madness:-
- Slice the zucchini into lengthwise strips to 1/8″ thickness with a mandolin. (Don’t have a fancy mandolin? Just use a vegetable peeler and think long, even strokes!)
- Place the zucchini strips in a bowl and add distilled white vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- While waiting, brown the ground beef with the oregano, salt and pepper. JUST until it’s not pink, because it has to cook more in the even! If you want to add chopped garlic and mushrooms, you totally can.
- Once the beef is cooked, remove from the heat and let cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a rectangle loaf pan (or any bread/cake pan if you have it) with foil.
- It’s time to assemble! Spread an even layer of the marinara sauce on the base of the lined pan.
- Layer two zucchini strips on top of each other, enough to cover everything, and then another two strips next to that. Each zucchini “pasta sheet” layer should have 4 strips.
- Then add the ground beef.
- Repeat with sauce, zucchini strips and meat until you’ve done about 3-4 layers.
- Drizzle some olive oil for good measure.
- Place in the oven to cook for 30 minutes.
- Add cheese if you wanna, or don’t if you don’t!